The task of the Joint Committee is to promote technical and scientific work in the field of powder metallurgy, in particular:
- Initiation and promotion of contacts between science and practice.
- Regular exchange of experience between institutes working scientifically in the field of powder metallurgy and the research and development departments of the powder metallurgy industry on current work and its results (e.g. in expert circles).
- Information about public research funding in the field of powder metallurgy.
- Conception, organization, and expert monitoring of joint research within the framework of precompetitive research projects.
- Organization of lectures, seminars, and symposia to report on the status and development of particularly nominated powder metallurgy areas.
- Recognition of special achievements in the field of powder metallurgy and/or for the Joint Committee Powder Metallurgy by awarding the dignity of the Skaupy Lecture or other distinction.